Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Hope in a Package

 This time of year, I find myself  focused on thoughts of Spring. I'm tired of bitter wind and brown snow. The brownness just adds insult to injury. It would be one thing if the snow were fluffy and white and picturesque, but alas this time of year it is scattered, windblown and brown with dirt.
 The other day my sister-in-law and I went for coffee and the wind was blowing so hard the light poles in the parking lot were swaying.  I didn't even check the temperatures. I know by now that if one actually knows how cold it is; it's just that much harder to bear.  As we were standing in line for our coffees a gentleman said to us a tad sarcastically ,"When does it start to get cold around here?" My sister-in-law rose to the challenge and said, "Have you been through Salt Lake? the air is so bad it is dangerous to go out." "It's true we have wind, but the air is clean." I think that is just a lovely spin to put on such a cold situation!
 The old idiom " March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb." doesn't apply to us. The lion comes in February and roars until the end of April. Now is the time for the gritting of teeth and the mustering of courage. "Hunkering down" we call it. The thing is, if you stay in you can trick yourself into believing it just isn't that bad out there, that is if you ignore the leaning trees. Open the curtains the sun shines in and it looks really nice. I always get the urge to take a walk when it is so sunny. But step outside momentarily, and one becomes instantly disabused of that notion! One must be able to breath when they walk, and if they breath that air for to long their lungs will freeze.
 I try to read, or knit, or take on home improvement projects but there are days I find myself wandering aimlessly; a bit like a tiger in a cage. So I think of Spring. The raking of the yard,the planting of gardens and flowers. My herb box overflowing with flavor for the picking.
 There is a trend here, because of water issues to put rocks and cactus in yards; xeriscaping they call it. I live in the high plains desert; which is pretty much defined by rocks and cactus. We are allowed summer about three months out of the year. I shall have grass and a garden and flowers! If one waters wisely this is possible.  It takes most of June to get it all put together and then July is beautiful and lush. August comes and the battle against the heat begins. Early mornings, just as the sun comes up is the time for watering and tending the plants. The birds come in to the fountain for water and there is the frenetic activity of the building of nests and the feeding of young. We soak it up as much as we can. We stay in during the hottest part of the day and as soon as possible the doors and windows open and we are on the back porch in rocking chairs breathing the night air. Even the dogs rejoice!
 When Stan tills the garden before planting, the dogs are out burying their noses in the earth and inhaling the scent of leaves and earthworms. I never can figure out how they do that without snuffing dirt up their noses.When they come up they always have a little mound  between their eyes. They run laps around the yard and yap deliriously because we are out with them. Finally they collapse at our feet panting with happiness. Life is good! These are the thoughts that help me get through winter.
 Last week we popped into the dollar store to pick up some drinking glasses. (Ours get broken so often we have started to shout Mazel tov! when we break them.) While browsing, I found packets of wild flower seeds. My spirits picked up immediately. Little wild flower seeds for one dollar! Such a reasonable price for hope in a package.


1 comment: